Friday, February 24, 2012

Sleep Study

I felt like Courtney hasn't been sleeping well.  She has minor sleep apnea (sp?) and had started to snore again.  She also had been getting up a lot at night (which usually meant she would sleep on our floor and didn't seem to really go back to sleep, but seemed to play with the light or anything that happened to be lying around.  Or it meant she would go out to the family room, curl up in my big blue chair and read books).  I worry about development when she doesn't sleep well.  So, I decided it would be best to have a sleep study done to see if there was anything we could do to help her.  So at the end of November we were scheduled for an over-night sleep study for her.  They said she could bring one parent with her that would sleep on a cot next to her.  I was worried because Brooklynn was still nursing and they suggested NOT bringing her...but I really wanted to be there with her.  I got brave and we decided Dad would go with her.  We got her in her pajamas, packed her an overnight bag with a few of her favorite things (pillow, books and Jesse doll) and sent her and Dad on their way.

This is her in her room, waiting to get "hooked up".
Arron said she was amazing.  They had to put all kinds of wires and monitors on her head and body.  She was happy to let them.  They joked about how she looked like a robot!  After she got all hooked up, Dad called home and was able to read their night time story to Megan on the phone so they could do it together.
In the morning, we (Megan, Brooklynn and I) awoke to Courtney and Dad home safe and a box of donuts on the table!

A few weeks later, I went back to the doctor for the results.  He asked how she has been sleeping and I explained that she was getting up a lot.  He looked puzzled and said she slept great at the clinic.  No kidding-want to have her every night?  He said that there was NOTHING going on-not even sleep apnea.  He said that sometimes when kids are really smart and have active brains, they just have a hard time sleeping (I smiled big and giggled a little when he said that)...(see?  She IS really smart!).  He said not to worry about her as long as it wasn't affecting her daytime behavior.   So, we got her a little light by her bed and let her keep a little stack of books by her bed.  We tell her that if she wakes up and wants to read that she can turn on her little light and read right in her bed.  I sleep a little better knowing that all is well with her breathing and sleeping.

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing. What a smart girl! I am so glad that it isn't sleep apnea. What a brave girl to go to the testing. I know Ben said it was weird trying to sleep with all those things plugged into you. I am so glad to hear the results were positive!!

    ReplyDelete