I took Courtney to the Neurologist today. People that have Down Syndrome are at risk for...I don't have the word right now and don't have the time to look it up...but it is a condition in their necks that puts them at risk for serious injury. When they have the condition they are often not recommended to participate in activities such as play soccer, dive into pools, ride horses (that would be devistating to her!) It is recommended that they have a neck x-ray before they are too old (I think the recommended age is 2) to determine if they have the condition or not. Courtney had the x-rays done when she was 2 and then again in the last year. Do you know how hard it is to get a scared 2 year old to lay on a table with a big machine coming down on her to lay still for an x-ray?! This time, it was much easier because I could talk to her and have her understand more and the x-ray was more clear. We went to the neurologist this time (referred from her pediatrician) just to make sure (it appeared clear, but there was a tiny spot that looked questionable and she wanted to make sure we had the experts opinion on it). He examined her, looked at the x-ray and gave her the all-clear!
He said that when in flex position (this is where the questionable part was) you can have up to 5 mm (I think it was mm) and she had not enough to even be worth noting. This is a diagnosis that will (as far as I understand it) remain for her entire life. Meaning if you don't have it, you won't get it! Hooray, one more thing to check off the list of worries!! And bonus, she can continue riding horses!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yah for clear test results!!
ReplyDeleteI really need to get that x-ray done! I've had orders for it twice now, and not get it done...Sarah doesn't like x-rays either. Last fall, she needed one on her lower leg...we tried it twice, and failed. Finally called her doc & got an order for Valium, which helped. :D
ReplyDelete